G. Allan Hancock was the developer-philanthropist who gave his name to the area of town he developed – Hancock Park. He grew up in a home at the La Brea Tar Pits and inherited 440 acres from his father, Major Henry Hancock. 71 oil wells were operating at capacity from 1905 until 1910. In 1919 Hancock subdivided the property into residential lots and leased 105 acres to the Wilshire Country Club.
Some of the earliest family names included Doheny, Chandler, Huntington, Van Nuys, Crocker, Banning, Newmark, Van de Kamp, and Duque. Many of their homes were designed by such architects as Paul Williams, A.C. Chisholm and John Austin. Hancock Park is approximately 2.2 square miles and consists of about 1,200 homes. Its boundaries are Rossmore, Highland, Melrose and Wilshire Boulevards. Hancock Park is home to the official residence of the Mayor of Los Angeles and many foreign consulates.
Larchmont Village is a quaint and friendly shopping district located in one of the oldest and most historically significant neighborhoods in Los Angeles, bordered by some of the most well-preserved homes in the city. The homes range from 1920’s California bungalows to grand old estates. Larchmont Village serves as a Main Street retail district to Hancock Park, Windsor Square, and nearby Paramount Studios. Larchmont maintains a small town feel and serves as a lovely community gathering place.
Between 1900 and 1910 a gentleman named George A.G. Howard envisioned a beautiful tranquil park as a setting for family homes such as those seen in the English countryside. He called this area Windsor Square. The original “Square” ran from Wilshire Boulevard to ThirdStreet, and from Plymouth Boulevard to Irving Boulevard. The English flavor was enhanced by street names: Irving, Windsor, and Plymouth. Windsor later expanded to the north, east, and west. Both Windsor Square and Hancock Park are known for spacious and elegant traditional residences on large lot parcels.